Monday, September 21, 2015

Demystifying Pro Tools Preference Settings part 3/3

OK today let's first go over the Editing tab. There's really only one item I want to make sure you know about. At the bottom of the page is 'Levels of Undo'.  This preference sets the maximum number of actions that can be undone. The maximum is 32 levels of undo! That's a lot! You can "back up" 32 times. Sometimes I use this to my advantage - I may try something knowing that I can go back and undo whatever it is I'm trying. For instance, in editing I might try to edit two different sections together a certain way not knowing if it's going to work or not. And then if it doesn't work I can just back up until I see my two sections as they were in the beginning before I did any editing at all.

NOTE: The one thing to keep in mind is that setting this to a lower number can speed up the performance of slower computers.

The next tab in the preferences setup is Mixing. Under the Setup section I like to use the Default EQ and Default Dynamics windows. Here I set the EQ and Dynamics processors that I use most often. After setting them, they will show up when you're in the mix window and you click on an insert. The plugin appears at the top of the insert selector pop-up menu.

Next under Automation be sure 'Smooth and Thin Data After Pass' is selected. Pro Tools will automatically smooth and thin the automation data created in an automation pass if this is set. Be sure to set the 'Degree of Thinning' also. I have mine set to "more". I would leave this higher - either 'more' or 'most'.

And finally, notice 'After Write Pass, Switch To'. This determines what happens after you write the first pass of automation. Touch mode writes automation only while a fader or switch is touched or clicked with a mouse. When the fader is released, the writing of automation stops and the fader returns to any previously automated position. Latch mode works in the same way but continues to write automation until you stop playback.

So that's it for the Preference settings in the Setup menu! I hoped this helps. I hope this lessens any intimidation you might have felt while looking through this particular menu item!

Until next time -

And HEY! make it a great day!

Tim

No comments:

Post a Comment